A professional who is…
Highly organized, hard-workingAn action-oriented and integrity-driven leader
offering over 15 years of experience in the technical communication field with
emphasis on methodology, end-user comprehension, and project management.
Recognized as a strong team player who can
bridge the gap between IT and the business, and build strong cases for
documentation and online help.
History of delivering cost-saving solutions for
projects on time, as well as enhancing processes and design.
A team builder
Passionate about improving processes and people
Jasc Paint Shop Pro
Web Development and Project Manager
- Wrote online help for Internet check program-reporting system Web site
- Wrote context-sensitive online help for Internet check-ordering Web for
- Wrote online help for digital certificate enrollment Web site for Deluxe.com.
- Wrote online help for Windows-based projects at Deluxe. Technical publications
- Content manager for Feed Intranet site at Land O'Lakes. Lead for team of content editors from several departments.
- Project Manager for 6,000+ topic, multi-file, online help system. Responsible
for training and mentoring of three RoboHelp technical writers at Xcel Energy.
- Created Information Architecture Design document, process flow document,
storyboards, and functional requirements document for BestBuy.com.
- Wrote a support desk "e-Help"customer care reference document
for e-commerce Internet application at Deluxe.
- Developed Web-based context-sensitive online help for Internet banking
application at USBank.com.
- Wrote installation, administration, and operations documentation at the
US Postal Service. Created RoboHelp and Doc-to-Help online documentation.
Wrote Access reports. Tracked multiple projects in MS Project. Maintained
project plans. Gathered requirements. Revised screens for usability ease
of reading/understanding. Developed flow charts and detailed sketches in
Corel Draw and FlowChart.
- Resolved over 5,000 errors within a context-sensitive RoboHelp project
at Xcel Energy.
- Wrote online help assessment, solution and Statement of Work for large
RoboHelp project at Xcel Energy. Successful plan implementation.
- Developed task force of subject matter experts for project accountability and to improve quality of online help information at Xcel Energy. Project very successful.
- Split single help file into 15 separate help files, hyperlinked to Intranet
and Internet, developed macros, streamlined index, and reformatted for usability
at Xcel Energy.
- Created quality-tracking process for online help projects at Xcel Energy.
- Created online help process improvement methodology at USBank.com, saving
project thousands of development dollars.
- Wrote functional specifications and created demos for online help projects
- Developed document templates, style guides, and troubleshooting document for online help projects to adhere to corporate standards and visual identity.
- Maintained budget records, monitored expenses for over 500 publications,
and tracked accounting problems at University of Minnesota Ag Extension
- WinHelp/Online Help Special Interest Group Leader at Interim Technology.
- Member of Interim Technology Webgroup.
- Wrote e-commerce user manuals for Deluxe Internet projects.
- Wrote online newsletters for Intranet.
- Lead for information design team.
- Captured information for knowledge management project at ELCA Board of
- Performed needs analyses and wrote documentation plans for key-initiative
projects at Deluxe.
- Used a consistent documentation plan and methodology.
- Performed browser compatibility and quality assurance testing on Internet
- Worked with team members to develop methodology for online help information at Xcel Energy.
- Designed, created, wrote, and edited copy for brochures, marketing material,
posters, conference booth displays, and newsletters at St. Joseph Mercy
- Wrote corporate-wide Web site download technical installation and conversion
templates and manuals.
- Wrote job-training manuals for two departments, including a manual for
a new charging system at CENEX/Land O'Lakes.
- Reviewed and approved signage, advertising, and radio spot reimbursement
for marketing department at CENEX/Land O'Lakes.
- Wrote policy and procedure manuals and employee handbooks at University
- Initiated and collaborated in writing SurgiServ computer program to track
surgical quality assurance issues at hospital. Designed form for QA tracking.
Wrote monthly reports to display statistics.
- Performed research (interviewed developers, business partners, and users),
wrote, and edited user/technical manuals and online help.
- Taught Macromedia Dreamweaver to a classroom of trainers, e-Learning developers,
and technical writers.
- Conducted interviews and reviewed technical skills of prospective information
design consultants for Spherion.
- Oversaw all aspects of news and layout design at large weekly newspaper
(circulation 7,500), Sawyer County Record.
- Managed writing staff and student interns.
- Resolved customer problems and complaints.
- Doubled circulation for Summer Fun Guide by combining efforts with neighboring
- Wrote news copy at large weekly newspaper, edited submitted copy, generated
news stories and ideas, proofread reporters' copy, and worked as photographer.
- Initiated idea with district school superintendent to implement weekly
school page featuring school activities.
- Assisted in redesign of front page and interior of newspaper for ease
of reading and updated look.
- Doubled the number of newspaper pages within two years by working closely
with the advertising department.
- Published 10 special newspaper sections per year in addition to regular
- Created, designed, and wrote unique recycling issue.
- Performed general photography, photo scanning, and photo retouching duties.
- Started new monthly agricultural magazine insert at daily newspaper, wrote
articles (circulation 30,000), North Iowa Farmer.
- Wrote content for feed newsletters. .
- Edited University of Minnesota Agricultural Extension Service materials;
wrote articles for University of Minnesota Agricultural Extension Service
- Editor of Interim Technology's monthly online newsletter.
- General Excellence Award, Spherion, 2000
- General Excellence Award, Interim Technology Consulting, 1999
- Star Award, Interim Technology Consulting (special recognition), 1998
- General Excellence Class IV, first place, Service to Agriculture, North
Iowa Farmer/Globe Gazette, Iowa Newspaper Association
- Print Media Award 1995, Sawyer County Record, Association of Wisconsin
- General Excellence, North Iowa Farmer/Globe Gazette, Iowa Soybean
- Print Media Award 1995, Sawyer County Record, Relay For Life, American
- Agriculture Merit Scholarship recipient 1985, University of Minnesota
- PRC Eloise Beam Award nomination for team effort and quality
Senior Technical Writer , Oracle, Minneapolis, MN, 2006-present
Senior Technical Writer Consultant, eFunds/Spherion, Woodbury, MN, 2005
Senior Technical Writer Consultant, PLATO Learning, Bloomington, MN, 2004-2005
Ag Services Communications Specialist, Land O'Lakes, Shoreview, MN, 2004
Senior Technical Writer/Analyst, Deluxe Corporation,
Shoreview, MN, 2001-2004
Information Design Services Senior Consultant, Project Manager, Spherion/Interim
Technology Consulting, St. Louis Park, MN, 1997-2001
Technical Writer Contractor, PRC/United States Postal Service, St. Paul, MN, 1996-1997
Editor, Sawyer County Record, Hayward, WI, 1993-1996
Writer, contractor for various outdoor newspapers and publications, summer
Freelance Journalist/Photographer, Globe Gazette/North Iowa Farmer,
Mason City, IA, 1991-1993
Community Relations Assistant/Medical Secretary, St. Joseph Mercy Hospital,
Mason City, IA, 1990-1993
Ag Core Team Assistant, University of Minnesota Ag Extension Service,
St. Paul, MN, 1989
Marketing, Dairy, Fertilizer, Petroleum, Feed, Human Resources Temporary
Help, CENEX/Land O’Lakes, Arden Hills/Inver Grove Heights, MN, 1985-1988
Bachelor of Science, Animal Science and Technical Communication (Agricultural
Journalism), University of Minnesota.
Continuing Education and Associations:
- Macromedia Authorware, Jeff Weinberg, University of Minnesota
- DEVA, Weisner and Associates, 2002
- XML Executive Overview, Weisner and Associates, 2002
- Dreamweaver 3/Fireworks, First Tech
- FrontPage 98, CompUSA
- Weisner & Associates Online Communicators Network classes: WebHelp,
RoboHTML, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, JavaHelp, MSHTML Help, Dynamic HTML, Using
Graphics with Web-Based Information, Developing Standards for Online Help,
Converting WinHelp to HTML Help, Online Help Today and in the Future by
Joe Welinske, Deconstructing WebHelp, and Cascading Style Sheets
- XML informational seminar, InterTech
- Adobe's Total Inspiration Seminar
- AIIM Content Management Solutions Seminar, Minneapolis, MN, 2003
- ITCC Conference speaker and attendee, Minneapolis, MN, 1999
- HTML and Web Page Design series, Berkana Productions
- Society for Technical Communication Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, 2002
- Society for Technical Communication Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, 1998
- Society for Technical Communication FutureTense Region 6 Conference, 2003
- Society for Technical Communication senior member, 1996-present
- AIIM International, Enterprise Content Management Association, 2003
- WinWriters Online Help Conference, San Diego, CA, 2000